Dawn Chang is one of three candidates for a position as Trustee for Kamehameha Schools.
I have written about Dawn here before, recently when she was a consultant working on the Comprehensive Management Plan for Mauna Kea.
That was a controversial and very difficult situation, with extraordinarily strong feelings on both sides, and she really impressed me under fire. She did not falter. She just focused on pono and let the chips fall where they may. She even endured someone cursing her children’s future kids.
But, nevertheless, by the end of the long process, some of the most skeptical folks – the ones who were strongly against the Thirty Meter Telescope – called her “Sistah.” This is why we became friends for life.
The Court required candidates to demonstrate expertise in one or more of the following areas:I have no reservations at all in supporting Dawn for the position as Kamehameha Schools Trustee and I’m sending in my written support. If any of you that know Dawn’s work, character and integrity would like to do the same, written comments and/or expressions of support must be received by 4 p.m. on September 14, 2010.
• Business administration
• Finance and investment
• Strategic planning and policy setting
• General areas of interest including education, law or governance
As well as possess the following:
• A recognized reputation of integrity and good character
• The capacity to fulfill the responsibilities of a fiduciary under trust law
• Respect for and from the community
• Consistent and active leadership in the community with specific emphasis on issues impacting the well-being of the people of Hawaii
• A formal education
• Outstanding personal traits including Hawaiian values
Mail to: Kamehameha Schools Trustee Screening Committee
c/o Inkinen & Associates
1003 Bishop Street
Pauahi Tower, Suite 477
Honolulu, HI 96813